Breaking News
  • May 31Don't forget to turn in books, textbooks, Chromebooks, and pay any fines before the last day!
  • May 312024 yearbook distribution at the activities window
  • May 21Check out our print archives to view El Rodeo newspapers from 2007-2019!
  • May 3Graduation June 8th at ELAC!!
  • April 18Join the 2024-2025 El Rodeo Staff!! Talk to your counselor
The Student News Site of El Rancho High School, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

Polls

Are you ready for graduation and the last day of school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mrs. Lamar’s journey: Embracing retirement and new beginnings

After 24 years of dedicated service, Mrs. Lamar, a beloved English teacher at El Rancho High School, is bidding farewell to her students, colleagues, and the community as she embarks on a new chapter. Known for her passion for literature and her love for teaching, Lamar has left an indelible mark on the school and the lives of countless students.

Reflecting on her journey, Lamar shared that her initial motivation to become a teacher stemmed from her deep connection to teenagers and literature. She recounted an inspiring encounter with Dr. Ventura, a fellow educator, who was pivotal in guiding her toward a teaching position at El Rancho High School. Despite facing rejections from other schools, Lamar’s perseverance and the power of networking eventually led her to the fulfilling role she cherished for over two decades.

As she prepared to bid farewell to her students, Lamar expressed her fondness for the El Rancho community, emphasizing the warmth and support she received from the students and their families. While she will undoubtedly miss the school’s vibrant atmosphere, she looks forward to a new adventure as she sets her sights on moving to Maui.

Looking ahead, Lamar is brimming with excitement about her future in Maui. Her love for surfing is set to take a new turn as she aspires to become a professional award-winning surfer. No, actually, Lamar reveals that she is bad at surfing and can’t stay on the board without falling off. But in the meantime, she plans to immerse herself in outdoor activities like hiking and explore opportunities to work with animals, including volunteering at the humane society.

Even in retirement, Lamar’s love for literature remains as strong as ever. She looks back fondly on her favorite literary works, such as The Sun Also Rises, which she plans to revisit in her leisure time. Her retirement is not a farewell to literature, but a new chapter in her lifelong journey of learning. The one book she reveals that she’s over is The Great Gatsby

In addition to her literary pursuits, Lamar humorously remarked on her preference for dogs over cats, playfully highlighting the mischievous nature of feline companions. She shared her enthusiasm for spending time with dogs and her intention to continue fostering her passion for canines in her new environment.

As Lamar bids farewell to her cherished classroom, she leaves a legacy of inspiration, knowledge, and kindness. Her impact on the El Rancho community will undoubtedly endure, and her spirit will continue to resonate with those she has connected. With her unwavering enthusiasm for life’s new adventures and her enduring love for literature, Lamar’s retirement marks the beginning of a new chapter filled with endless possibilities.