Academic Decathlon places 7th in LA County

May 4, 2022

The El Rancho Academic Decathlon team visits the Los Angeles County Academic Decathlon Awards Ceremony to celebrate their hard work testing in late January/early February. 

El Rancho placed 7th out of thirty-four schools in the LACOE section of the Academic Decathlon. Team II or the Junior Varsity team placed 2nd out of 18 teams. A major success for the decathletes.

Five members of  Team One were awarded medals during their visit. Christian Acosta De La Rosa earned bronze in Essay.

Mia Calvillo earned Silver in Essay.

Senior Mia Calvillo earns Silver in Essay and Senior Christian Acosta-De la Rosa and Junior Lorelei Rojo earn Bronze in Essay.

Juliza Molina racked up a Gold in Interview and Silver in Speech. 

Juliza Molina and Lorelei Rojo with their Gold medals in Interview.
Lorelei Rojo and Juliza Molina with their Silver medals in Speech.

Luz Ayala, although not present at the ceremony, earned Gold in Speech. Lorelei Rojo earned Gold in Interview, Silver in Interview, Bronze in Essay, and Gold for being the top scorer within the El Rancho team. Molina and Rojo scored 980 points out of 1000 in their Interview. 

Junior Lorelei Rojo wears her four medals during the banquet alongside her fellow decathletes.

The decathletes were driven to Montebello’s Quiet Cannon Banquet Hall in the Montebello Championship Golf Course by the Academic Decathlon coaches, Mr. Carlos Melgar and Mr. Steven Francis, along with Assistant Principal of Activities Mrs. April Leal.

Principal Kendall Goyenaga accompanied the students along with Assistant Principal of Curriculum Mrs. Shirley Lugo, and District Office member Mrs. Chavez.

State competition results were released prior to the event with El Rancho placing 9th in Division III.

Molina earned the overall top score in Interview with a score of 990. Ariadne Aquino earned Silver in Math and Rojo placed as the top scorer on the team.

Next year’s Academic Decathlon team is underway with recruitment meetings and recommendations by students and staff. The 2022-2023 theme is “The American Revolution and the New Nation.”

The ERUSD Board of Education will recognize the accomplishments of this year’s team during the board meeting on Tuesday, May 17.

Be on the lookout for next year’s team as they prepare for more studying and hopefully more medals.