IB Program: Everything you need to know

September 2, 2022

IB stands for International Baccalaureate. This is a program used to help students everywhere receive an education that will help them in our globalizing world. Luckily enough, El Rancho is involved in this program, giving students the opportunity that many others don’t have.

To go more in-depth, IB is a two-year program that takes place junior and senior years of high school. It is a higher-level program that looks great on college applications and allows students to get a head start on college, earning college credits in high school.

You may be wondering what makes IB different from AP classes. Well, IB tends to be a more in-depth way of learning, truly digging deep. It is also global, giving others opportunities to go to college internationally.

As an IB student, you can choose whether you want a full diploma or certificate. Full diploma students are set to a specific schedule for the full two years consisting only of IB classes and graduate in white at graduation. IB certificate students would only take certain IB classes, mixed with AP classes or other classes of their choosing.

Now for what everyone would like to know, is IB really worth taking?

An IB teacher at El Rancho, Mrs. Kim, says, “I believe IB is worth it considering it challenges students beyond what they think they are capable of, teaching students to be much more independent,” Kim also addresses whether students should take the full diploma or certificate, saying, “Diploma looks excellent for college, although certificate can be more appropriate for those participating in sports and other extracurriculars.”

Being a full diploma student while in sports is certainly doable, though it will be challenging.

Layla Navarro, a senior taking full diploma while managing a sport says, “Time management is really important since you will be assigned homework for every class, you have to make sure you are using whatever free time you have to complete those assignments to be able to balance between school and sports.”

From the perspective of a newer Ib student, Crystal Villaseñor, a junior at El Rancho says, “I chose this program because I wanted to push myself further and challenge myself to do better.” Crystal knew of the future challenges but decided that she had the ability to succeed.

IB is a well-recognized program known to help shape students into smart, well-rounded individuals. It not only strives to educate students but also to make them better as people. Many students who took this pathway have moved on to amazing colleges.

Need some advice from IB students who have already graduated? 

Former El Rancho student, Levannie Gonzalez, says, “I really didn’t think I could do it and there were times when I felt insecure about it. But believe in yourself. You’ll feel amazing when you graduate knowing that you accomplished being an IB student.” Levannie admits that she struggled, but still persevered, and in the end was able to graduate with IB.

In all, IB isn’t easy, but it isn’t meant to be. This program is for people who want to be challenged and have a chance to grow not only as a student but also as a person. It can give students a head start in college and better prepare them for the future years to come. Whether or not you can do it, is truly up to you.

View Comments(1)
Donate to El Rodeo
$145
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of El Rancho High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

El Rodeo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to El Rodeo
$145
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

All El Rodeo Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• N

NoelSep 6, 2022 at 2:45 pm

This is so informative

Reply
1