The lunch time dilemma: To eat or not to eat

September 9, 2022

The general student body here at El Rancho eats the school lunch provided, with very few students bringing their lunch from home. But what about the students who choose not to eat school lunch? What do they feel the school lunch needs?

The food is sometimes the problem. Freshman Symantha Corral said, “I don’t get school lunch because I don’t like the options and I prefer to walk with my friends in the quad.” Suggestions to change the food options could entice students to eat during lunch. Junior Alex Saavedra, said, “I would add more diversity to the lunches such as more Hispanic food.”

The food isn’t worth the long lines, especially during this current heat wave. Freshman Hailey Chavez said, “I don’t eat the school lunch because I don’t really like the options given and I think more shade for the lunch lines would be good.” Students like to cut in line with their friends, adding more confusion and chaos to the lines.

Sometimes, food is food and people need to eat. Especially athletes who don’t get the chance to go home before their long practices.  Junior Izaiah Corral said, “I eat the school food because I need the energy for practice.” Many student-athletes do not bring their own lunch but need the energy for playing sports even if it is not their favorite.

Overall the student body is divided between students who like the school lunch how it is currently and students who suggest that there should be a revamping of the school lunch. Which side are you on?