Caption: Image by Wil via EF English Live

Senior advice to the Class of 2026

October 17, 2022

Being a freshman is tough. Especially with all of the classwork, homework, and extracurricular activities, but you’re not alone. Everyone in High School was a freshman at one point. If you are feeling a little stressed or looking for some guidance. Here are some very valuable pieces of advice from this year’s seniors to help you transition into High School!

Senior Monserrat Haros, said, “My advice would be to get involved but don’t overwhelm yourself with a lot of sports or clubs and give yourself time for your mental health because it’s really important to have as a priority because it can affect your grades.” 

Senior Zanoa Zatarain, said, “My advice would be to not depend on people as much because high school is high school and at the end of the day not everyone you meet here will be in your life forever. Just remember to have a good time and enjoy your years here.”

If you have struggled with feeling overwhelmed here is some really good advice.

Senior Desmond Rodriguez said, “Always challenge yourself no matter how hard the feat is, but not to where it can become overwhelming.  It’s okay to take a break and reevaluate if what you are doing is best for you. Remember to try your best, seek far beyond your current state by looking into the future, and think about how the hard work you achieve now will all be worth it.”

Senior Argentina Segovia, said, “I remember when I was a freshman and I said that I didn’t want to participate in a lot of high school activities but now that I am a senior I really regret that, so my advice would be to attend as many events that the high school hosts as you can because those are memories that you will cherish forever. Hang out with your friends and have fun because these four years will fly by really fast.”

This next piece of advice is something that could definitely help with your academic mindset.

Senior Alondra Gonzalez, said, “My advice for freshmen would be to not procrastinate, as much as your teachers and your parents say it. It really is something you need to try and control, it’s something that has hurt me since I would always procrastinate on assignments and turn them in late. Not procrastinating will help you in the future and make it a lot easier for you.”

The next four years of high school are a great way to make memories with friends through clubs, sports, and other high school events but school work is something you should not procrastinate on or push to the side. Balance is key. You got this, Dons!