The SEA Program: Become a Mentor and Make a Difference

September 29, 2022

The Emily Shane Foundation SEA Program is a great opportunity to get involved with your community, help struggling middle school students, and gain volunteer experience. 

The SEA (Successful Educational Achievement) was created to empower middle school students at risk of failure and who could not otherwise afford individualized and intensive help. The program is an exceptional way of connecting with your community and being a mentor/tutor for middle school students who need your help. 

The nonprofit charity organization wants El Rancho students to be a part of the change. El Rancho is partaking in the program and the program is looking to hire preferably 11th and 12th-grade students who will mentor/tutor students from the middle schools within the district such as North Park Academy, STEAM Academy, and Rivera Middle School. This opportunity will allow you to make an unforgettable impact on someone else’s life by helping them in their areas of need. 

There are in-person and remote opportunities that operate Monday through Friday. If hired, one will be required to be committed to working twice a week for one hour taking place after school hours. This is a flexible way of getting involved with the Pico Rivera community and gaining volunteer hours making it a valuable experience that will not interfere with prior commitments such as sports and clubs.

The Program is looking for someone passionate about their academics and helping those who need to feel empowered and confident in achieving their own academic goals. You never know what someone is going through and being that helping hand to someone is extremely important. Every student has the potential to be successful and many may not have the resources to get that individualized attention; the SEA Program emphasizes it is their goal to be that change in the youth’s life. Strive to be that everlasting impact on someone else’s life because the youth are our future!

If you are interested in being a mentor/tutor for a middle school student then head on over to the College and Career Center to grab an application. You can also fill out an online application by emailing [email protected] for the application. The hiring process is quite simple; once you turn in the application, an interview will be set up. If hired, you will go through a training process and then be assigned to the middle school where you will be residing as a mentor/tutor. 

As long as you are able to make a difference in one student’s life, that is more than enough.  Apply to be a mentor/tutor for the Emily Shane Foundation SEA Program and be that difference.