Chef Luna’s annual spooktacular cupcake competition takes the cake

November 1, 2022

The Culinary Arts class had their annual Halloween competition this week where they were able to share their creativity in the kitchen. 

The objective of the challenge was to learn and practice critical thinking, time management, communication, collaboration, and creativity. 

The class was divided into teams, and each team had to create its own Halloween-themed dish using ingredients such as cupcakes, frosting, whipped cream, candy, and fondant. 

The stories told through their cupcakes ranged from classic horror movies or original stories. Junior Elizabeth Romero’s channeled the sewer scene from IT when Georgie gets taken.

Junior, Jaden Salmeron said, “We created a story about a man who came from a party and went to a graveyard and got attacked by zombies.” Another team recreated a trick-or-treat scene.

All of the teams had to follow specific criteria which means there were a few bumps along the road but each team was able to get back on track and have fun along the way. The majority of the students enjoyed working with their friends, but most had issues with the decorations.

Salmerom said, “The hardest part was getting the right shapes for the background of our piece.” Others struggled with creating fondant or setting up their scene to look presentable.

Each team was judged by ROP members, ERUSD alumni, staff, and students on their presentation, creativity, and taste. Jaden Salmeron and his team came in first for fifth period with their frightening, yet delicious presentation!