Mrs. Oroye’s art class ventures beyond the classroom to the Getty Museum

December 7, 2022

Mrs. Oroye took her art class to the Getty Museum on the 16th of November. For those who don’t know, the Getty Museum is a large museum that opened in 1997 and is located in Los Angeles California. It has a wide variety of works of art, however, it has a big focus on pre-20th-century European paintings, drawings, manuscripts, and sculptures.

When the students arrived at the museum around noon, they ate lunch and were then separated into groups that went to different parts of the museum to explore the different types of art. 

“I felt excited for the field trip because it gave me and other people a chance to experience art from different places and time periods,” said Edward Ramirez, a student who attended the field trip. “It was a good chance to see these art pieces outside of a classroom or textbook.” 

It is very different to see a painting in person. You can’t easily pick up on the small through a picture but are able to see the important details in person. To some students, seeing these paintings, sculptures, or drawings may inspire them and their art. 

“Looking at all these types of paintings was very inspiring,” said Ramirez. “Seeing all the different styles from different time periods showed me how creative I can be with my art. I don’t have to stick to one style of art.”

Students didn’t just marvel at the beautiful works of art. They were also fascinated by the age of many of these art pieces. Some of the art pieces can date back centuries. Its most famous painting Irises by Van Gogh was painted in 1889 and its second most famous painting Rembrandt Laughing by Rembrandt was painted in 1628. These aren’t even its oldest pieces of art with some dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries.

“It was very insightful and interesting to look at different art pieces from the older 1200s-1400s era, such as Renaissance pieces,” said Nicholas Consuegra, another student who attended the field trip. “It’s very interesting to know that some of the paintings are hundreds of years old and are still in good condition after all this time.”

The trip to the museum did a lot to inspire the students and helped them appreciate art and the effort and creativity that goes into it–they were able to admire the art while also being able to understand the purpose of its’ creation.

“I would like to visit another museum or art exhibit, or perhaps even go back to the Getty museum since we didn’t get to see everything,” Consuegra said. “I would really like to see what other types of art they have in other museums.”

The students of Mrs. Oroye’s art classes had an adventurous day learning beyond the four walls of a classroom.