Dons voice their opinions to Superintendent Dr. Villegas

December 13, 2022

On Tuesday, December 13, the Student Advisory Council gathered in room H-2 at lunch for their second meeting of the year. This school year, the council will have a total of four meetings. Each student in the council receives lunch and discusses topics on ways to make change district-wide.

The meeting is led by Dr. Marco Villegas, ERUSD’s superintendent, Principal Kendall Goyenaga, and Assistant Principal April Leal.

Dr. Villegas has worked in the education system for over thirty years. “I was an instructional Aide, a teacher, a principal, a regional director, and an Associate Superintendent before being your superintendent,” said Dr. Villegas.

Dr. Villegas has big plans for the district. “I want El Rancho to be a place that you are proud of and ERUSD becomes the first choice for families in the region,” said Dr. Villegas.

After attending many events district-wide during his first year in the district, Dr. Villegas feels that ERUSD is “beaming with community pride.” He said, “The community is very passionate about making the school system excel.”

During each meeting, he asks questions for students to discuss and share out their opinions and ideas on ways to improve in a variety of areas whether it is school safety or ways to improve accessibility on campus. Not only does this help students gain ideas, but it helps students become comfortable with those around them especially if the other members of the council are ones they don’t usually communicate with.

Yes, the council is beneficial for Dr. Villegas and El Rancho’s administration, but for students, this is a chance to build relationships and gain opportunities outside of high school.

The next meeting of the student advisory council will be in January. The council will join Dr. Villegas at a district board meeting and become recognized for their dedication to making a change and being a voice for their peers at school.

In addition, due to the great feedback at the last advisory meeting, El Rancho will be hosting the opening of the Oasis Wellness Center which will be located in room R-4. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be on January 13th at lunch.