Don’t forget FAFSA deadline, February 24th

January 31, 2023

Seniors in California must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by February 24 in order to graduate. Those who do not want to complete a FAFSA application will still be required to complete an opt-out waiver. Not completing either of these will result in being unable to graduate. 

This is a new requirement starting this school year. These applications became mandatory because the government wanted to better inform students and parents about the resources that are available to them before they turn to loans. 

Some people may be wondering what a FAFSA is and why it is so important to fill out. FAFSA is an application that colleges use to determine if a student is eligible to receive financial aid. Not submitting a FAFSA means that colleges will not be able to determine if you are eligible or not. Submitting the application can open opportunities for grants, scholarships, and financial aid.

The FAFSA can be completed online or at home. You will need to have certain information such as your social security number in order to complete the application so it may be a good idea to do the application with the help of a parent or guardian. If you need more information, have questions about the application, or need assistance filling it out, the College and Career Center in room G-1 is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

If you are a senior and still haven’t filled out the FAFSA, it is recommended that you fill it out as soon as possible to avoid missing the deadline which is February 24. Make sure not to forget!