El Rancho student Lesley Cerda wins 38th Annual Congressional Art Contest

May 16, 2023

El Rancho Junior Lesley Cerda wins 1st place in the 38th Annual Congressional Art competition. This competition is open to all students in California’s 38th congressional district. 

This is a chance for students to showcase their talent and artistic abilities. 

Lesley Cerda, “The most challenging part of making my piece was figuring out what colors and pieces I wanted to incorporate.”

1st place of the Congressional Art Competition will have their work displayed in the U.S. Capital for a whole year. 

Lesley Cerda, “I have mixed emotions of both nervous and excited for my work to be displayed in the US capital.”

Cerda’s piece encompasses nature and goddesses giving a very relaxed and calm feel.

Lesley Cerda, “I was inspired by different magazines that I looked through, especially the photos of celebrities laying down looking very relaxed. We were not allowed to use faces of celebrities but that allowed me to come up with the idea of covering the face and using other body features to give the idea she is a goddess rather than a celebrity.”

Lesley Cerda, “For this piece I wanted it to be original and I wanted people to see the beauty of nature as well as how it’s very relaxed and calm.”

Congratulations to Lesley Cerda for her artistic and original award winning piece!