Senior Feature: Lorelei Rojo’s journey as a don

May 25, 2023

After 4 incredible years at El Rancho high school, it is finally coming to an end for Lorelei Rojo, currently ranked 2nd out of her entire graduating class. She has many great memories as a student at El Rancho with countless accomplishments and although her experiences as a high school student are almost over, the rest of her life has just begun. Not only is she a great student, but a great swimmer as well, involved in many extracurricular activities. Here are some amazing memories she has to share as well as advice and her plans for the future:

What college will you be attending next year?

“UCLA! I’m planning to major in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, but got in for Chemistry.”

What was your favorite high school memory?

“When I traveled to Santa Clara for the Academic Decathlon state competition. We flew up together and traveled in these really nice cars. We had so much fun and laughed so hard because there were only nine kids and three adults going. We ding-dong ditched, played hide-and-seek at 10pm while on a sugar high, and we placed 3rd in Super quiz. We went to some really good restaurants and competed at the hotel. I was so glad I got to share these memories with my team before I finished high school.”

How was your overall experience at El Rancho?

“My overall experience at El Rancho was pretty good. El Rancho has so much culture with our Night Pep Rallies, Academic Decathlon team, and El Rodeo Newspaper. I was disappointed that they never fixed the pool after freshman year and I never got to compete in our home pool again. Nothing is ever perfect, but I’m glad I went to El Rancho because of all the great memories and friendships I made.”

What has been the highlight of your senior year?

“The highlight of my senior year would have to be when I won 3rd place in CIF for my 100 backstroke and 100 fly and immediately after I went to prom. The day was so hectic, but I had such a great time. I closed out my last swim season successfully and danced the night away with my closest friends.”

What is the most challenging task as a senior?

“The most challenging task as a senior would have to be applying to college while trying to do all the senior activities. You want to make the most out of the time you have left, all while putting your best foot forward with your essays and extracurricular activities. Senioritis is very real and deadly.”

Who was your favorite teacher?

“My favorite teacher, besides my parents, would have to be Mr. Porter. Even though I only had him for sophomore year, he made online school fun and memorable. I’ll never forget playing Among Us in class and Agent Porter assigning us work. Porter is very kind and helped me get into all the Basketball games for free, even when they were non-league games. The basketball team and him were very supportive of my photography and I was always excited to be on the sidelines.”

If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be?

“I would be more confident in myself about friends and relationships. I was always too shy and scared of rejection from either people I wanted to be friends with or people I had crushes on.”

Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

“In 10 years I imagine myself starting a family, having a steady job in genetics or biotechnology, and a house. I really want to travel the world with my family, so I hope to have some sort of travel plans.”

What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?

“Try to find a good balance between academics and extracurriculars. High school is only as good as you make it. Stay on top of grades, but also go to as many games and events as you can. High school truly goes by in a flash, so make the most of it.”

Lorelei Rojo has a promising future and will be greatly missed by many at El Rancho. Once a don, always a don.