Breaking News
  • May 31Don't forget to turn in books, textbooks, Chromebooks, and pay any fines before the last day!
  • May 312024 yearbook distribution at the activities window
  • May 21Check out our print archives to view El Rodeo newspapers from 2007-2019!
  • May 3Graduation June 8th at ELAC!!
  • April 18Join the 2024-2025 El Rodeo Staff!! Talk to your counselor
The Student News Site of El Rancho High School, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

Polls

Are you ready for graduation and the last day of school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Trends are trending!

Trends are trending! More and more people have begun to notice that every year there is a new style of clothes and specific clothing items that resurface, with a modern twist of course. And while yes nostalgia can mean the world to some, what does this continuous cycle mean in the grand scheme of things? 

It is not new information that trends exist, especially in the fashion industry but one hot subject that has made its way around is the problem of fast fashion. “Fast fashion” is described as being “low-priced but stylish clothing that moves quickly from design to retail stores to meet trends.”

On the surface, this may not seem like an issue. Fast fashion has its benefits, like providing an affordable way for people to experiment with their clothing that may not have the means to drop hundreds of dollars on the latest trends. But this seems to be where the benefits end. As social media continues to skyrocket and provide people an outlet to show off their latest $500 Shein haul or post about the latest “it girl” white sneaker, it is becoming increasingly alarming how quick fast fashion companies such as Shein, Fashion Nova, and Zara are pumping out clothes. 

This is where the issue of the trend cycle starts to show. It began sometime in the summer of 2019, which is when there began to be a resurgence of 80’s fashion, which can be largely attributed to the release of the third season of Stranger Things, set in the 80s. Minor things like scrunchies and all things neon began to make an appearance. 

As 2020 came and 20219 went, suddenly 90s fashion became the latest fad. Pieces such as bike shorts, platform shoes, and baggy jeans as well as bright colors and patterns including stripes and flannel, began to have their time in the spotlight. This cycle then continued in 2021 with 2000s fashion becoming one of the biggest things to take social media by storm with the “Y2K aesthetic” being on everyone’s mood board. You could not scroll on any social media without seeing tiny handbags, maxi skirts, Juicy Coutour, and of course lowrise jeans. 

As of now, we are in an era where flared jeans and peplum tops are back in and there are some talks of capri pants being on the rise, all of this mimicking the 2010s. So what exactly is the problem with this? 

The cycle of trends is moving faster than people can keep up and fast fashion brands are producing huge amounts of product for that exact product to end up in landfills and thrift stores not even a month later. 

This, as of now seems to be a never ending cycle with it being reported that websites such as Shein can add up to 10,000 new products to their website a day and micro trends are becoming more frequent by the day. One thing is for sure though, if this cycle continues you should be prepared to stock up in statement necklaces, mustaches, and jeggings.