Column: Senior year coming to an end feels bittersweet

Leilani Patino, El Rodeo Staff Writer

I’ve loved this year and I’m going to miss it! All the frustration I’ve felt with everyone in ASB, all the sweat we put into decorating the stadium, the poster making, game planning, the no-recognition, and the late nights coming home from work super tired just to do it all over again.

I’ve always felt I couldn’t wait to be out of high school but now that it’s here I don’t want it to be over just yet. 

During my freshman year, I hated being at El Rancho and I wanted to transfer. My only friends were the baseball guys because they were the only people I was around all day, every day. With three quarters of sophomore year on campus, I enjoyed it and made so many memories, especially with my dad and the boys. Junior year was a waste because it was online, and I missed out on a lot, which gave me a bigger reason to make senior year the best year yet.

This year has probably been the most fulfilling for me as I worked so hard for the things I wanted to do. As co-editor of El Rodeo News, ASB Athletic Commissioner, and one of the biggest El Rancho Baseball fans there is, I have been so stressed while planning, promoting, and reporting school events this year. 

On the days when I feel the most overwhelmed, I always get told to “take one step at a time.”

It’s hard trying to do so much all at once, especially feeling like you want to do everything yourself because it will turn out less if you get the help of others. This year I learned more about the things that I do care about.

I am blessed to have met so many mentors and coaches this year who motivate me and give me courage. A special someone that I met this year is our head boys varsity soccer coach and athletic director, Mr. Goyenaga. We’ve had talks about not only sports and school, but life. Some of our conversations remind me to enjoy my journey while continuing to grow as a person.

As you get older, the things you cherish change, and sharing our stories and growth is something I will forever cherish. 

Getting ready for the last month of my high school years, I have been overwhelmed with work I want to get done. From school work, to new articles, photo galleries, themed sports events, and reaching out to people in our community, I am always going “100 miles per hour.”

With my heart racing uncontrollably, something is always making my job as Athletic Commissioner harder- whether that’s because no posters are made, there’s a delay, nobody can stay and help, or the opposite, people just stay to sit around.  

I will miss the adrenaline I’ve felt all of my senior year to keep going and publish new content for El Rodeo News and ASB. 

I keep telling myself all the hard work will pay off but it’s hard for some to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Trying to stay focused and motivated till the finish line, at graduation, I hope to have made something out of nothing here at The Ranch. 

Some days are so much harder than others, but that’s life.