Breaking News
  • May 31Don't forget to turn in books, textbooks, Chromebooks, and pay any fines before the last day!
  • May 312024 yearbook distribution at the activities window
  • May 21Check out our print archives to view El Rodeo newspapers from 2007-2019!
  • May 3Graduation June 8th at ELAC!!
  • April 18Join the 2024-2025 El Rodeo Staff!! Talk to your counselor
The Student News Site of El Rancho High School, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

Polls

Are you ready for graduation and the last day of school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

PREPare to be amazed

Have you ever wondered what happens at The Ranch after the bell rings? Well, PREPare to have your mind blown. You can find the PREP program in the library every Monday through Thursday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. 

The program’s primary goal is to support students’ well-being through diverse programming. Students can improve their grades through tutoring, make new friends in the teen center, and benefit from the program’s offerings.

The Prep program is El Rancho’s new after-school, non-profit program, dedicated to providing a wide range of support for students beyond academics. With the help of a grant, this innovative program offers free opportunities for students to explore their interests, develop new skills, and receive mentorship.

PREP boasts an impressive array of activities, including a teen center, tutoring opportunities, a weight room, college workshops, and field trips. PREP also offers special interest clubs such as art, barista, gardening, SAB (student advisory board), and E-Sports. 

The Barista Club recently hosted a successful book cafe event on March 13th and 14th. This two-day event brought book lovers and coffee enthusiasts together in a cozy setting. Attendees browsed a curated selection of books while enjoying specialty coffee drinks crafted by the club’s skilled baristas.

Azai Mendez (PREP vice president), a junior, has greatly benefited from the PREP after-school program. He has found enjoyment in tutoring and has seen a significant improvement in his grades thanks to the guidance of Ms. Paola Ruiz, a Stanford graduate. Azai’s experience with PREP extends beyond academic support., “Prep is a lot more than an after-school program. Being a part of PREP is more like a family”, says Mendez.

Senior, Diego Soto (PREP president) once found it challenging to interact with new people. However, since joining PREP, the welcoming atmosphere and supportive mentors have helped Diego build his confidence. He attributes this transformation to PREP, saying, “I had trouble talking to new people, and with PREP, it has boosted my confidence when talking to new people.”

At PREP, students can grab a snack and then choose to attend tutoring for academic support, hang out with friends in the teen center, or participate in club meetings. PREP is a drop-in program, allowing students to stay for as long or as little as they like, fostering flexibility and comfort.

The program also offers exciting field trips during Spring Break, including a tour of Cal State Long Beach, a tour of Rio Hondo College, and a Bolsa Chica Beach clean-up and bonfire. Additionally, a trip to Griffith Observatory is planned for Saturday, April 13. These outings allow students to explore new environments, learn from experiences, and bond with their peers.

PREP is led by Site Coordinator Adonay Cortez, alongside Youth Leaders Jasmine Arrioja Bernal, Lauren Flores, Ivy Guerra, Alan Luong, and Paola Ruiz. This dedicated team brings together diverse interests, backgrounds, and educational experiences, united in their enthusiasm to serve the El Rancho community. For more information, contact Cortez at [email protected] or stop by his office at any time.