Senior Feature: Claudia Banuelos says goodbye to her time at The Ranch

Noel Gonzalez, El Rodeo Staff Writer

Senior Claudia Banuelos is wrapping up her final year of high school. A member of varsity Song and Dance, Claudia has created many memories and learned many lessons at El Rancho High School that she will carry with her as she goes off to college. Claudia will be attending Cal Poly Pomona in the fall. Congratulations Claudia!

What has your favorite high school memory been?

My favorite high school memory has been the pep rally from October this school year. The school spirit during this time was immaculate and all the bonding of the students was very special. Getting to perform our night prep rally routine with my song teammates was also very special because we got to dance to Michael Jackson, which we were all very excited about. This was also followed by our homecoming game and dance which were both extremely fun.

How was your overall experience at El Rancho?

My overall experience here at El Rancho has been a great one. I, along with all 3 of my older sisters and cousins have all attended ER and we love the sense of welcomeness and support it has to offer. From the office staff to the teachers and students, here at The Ranch, they have all been extremely kind and considerate to one another. I had the opportunity to be an office aid for a semester and Miss Vanessa, Miss Mayra, and Miss Martha from attendance were always so caring of their aids I loved helping them and having our daily morning conversations.

What is the most challenging task as a senior?

I would say the most challenging task as a senior is completing college applications and not catching senioritis. It can get very overwhelming to get involved in all the senior activities all while having to complete college applications, but at the end of the day time management is key and if you plan your things accordingly it can be a very smooth process.

What is the worst thing about being a senior?

I would say that the worst thing about senior year is saying goodbye to not only the underclassmen but your senior class as well. We will all be going our separate ways very very soon and the drift apart is going to be inevitable. Keeping friends close and being able to make time to hang out with high school friends will be a challenge now that we are becoming adults and having adult responsibilities.

Who was your favorite teacher?

My favorite teacher is Mr. Francis because of his way of teaching and the encouragement he provides to his students. He is such a genuine person and you can really tell he not only cares about the academic success but the overall well-being of each and every one of his students. 

What has been the highlight of your senior year? 

The highlight of my senior year has been Friday night lights in September and October. Getting to cheer on our team was very fun and there was nothing more exciting than when they scored a touchdown. Our senior night was also extremely special because we got to wear tiaras and sashes and were accompanied by family to the field during halftime.

What are you disappointed with this school year?

I am a little disappointed it’s all coming to an end but I am certain that I am ready for what life has planned out for me and I couldn’t be happier to get to accomplish my goals and the next chapter of my life all while still being close to my friends and family.

What college will you be attending next year?

I will be attending Cal Poly Pomona in the fall, I choose Cal Poly because of the environment and their motto of learning by the doing. I recently visited the campus and I truly felt like it was the school for me. I’m extremely excited to see what the next 4 years will bring.

Where do you imagine yourself 10 years from now? 

10 years from now I imagine myself already graduated from Cal Poly Pomona, traveling around the world to get to know new places along with hopefully owning my own house, and working as a chemical engineer in the cosmetic industry formulating, creating, and improving new products. 

If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be? 

If I could go back and change one thing it would be my time management because I am always completing things till the last minute. This has been a really bad habit of mine since freshman year and it has just continued because I know I always end up getting my assignments done. I will try to get rid of this bad habit now that I am starting college.

What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?

My advice for future Dons would be to get involved as much as possible and appreciate every little moment. From the highs to the lows, it will all go by very fast so just try to live in the moment as much as possible. Always stay true to yourself and your values. Be responsible with your actions. You can have fun while being a straight-A student and completing all your assignments and responsibilities. Lastly, get your work done early and get ahead whenever the opportunity arises because rushing and finishing everything last minute is not fun.