Breaking News
  • May 31Don't forget to turn in books, textbooks, Chromebooks, and pay any fines before the last day!
  • May 312024 yearbook distribution at the activities window
  • May 21Check out our print archives to view El Rodeo newspapers from 2007-2019!
  • May 3Graduation June 8th at ELAC!!
  • April 18Join the 2024-2025 El Rodeo Staff!! Talk to your counselor
The Student News Site of El Rancho High School, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

El Rodeo

Polls

Are you ready for graduation and the last day of school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Library’s New Chapter: A tale of moveable shelves and books to go

Exciting news for all library-goers! The library is about to transform completely, creating a new visitor experience. The library will become a hub of intellectual activity and learning with a new class instruction space. Get ready to say goodbye to those old, squeaky chairs and hello to a more modern and comfortable space!

Our school librarian, Kathy Metaxas, shared the exciting journey of the library’s transformation. She said that during the pandemic, the district received Esser Funds, a federal grant aimed at supporting schools in coping with the impact of COVID-19. The district invested in upgrading the school library to combat the learning loss caused by the pandemic. They envisioned a space where students could thrive academically, feel at ease, and take pride in their school. The idea was first brought to Mrs.Metaxas by Jazmin Chavez-Diaz, the Director of Secondary Education and a former teacher at The Ranch, who understood the importance of the library as a learning hub. This collaborative effort truly reflects the value we place on our school community.

The library is getting a new look and becoming a more comfortable and convenient space for our students. With fresh paint, carpet, and lighting, it should be a welcoming environment for learning. There are also plans to add two small group spaces and plenty of cozy corners for students to study and read. But that’s not all! Mrs.Metaxas will be re-cataloging each fiction book to make it easier for students to find what they want. The library’s new genres include Relationships and Identity, Overcoming and Adversity, Sci-Fi and Dystopian, Action and Adventure, Humor, Fantasy, Classics, Mystery, Horror and Thriller, Sports Fiction, Historical Fiction, Libros en Español, and Books for Everyone. The Dons can’t wait to enjoy these new features!

When the library was closed for renovation, Mrs.Metaxes expressed her desire for a smaller version of our main library where students could ask questions, borrow books, print papers, and interact with others. Welcome all to the library’s temporary location at Q-3. When asked about pictures of the plans for the new library, Mrs.Metaxes says, “I have some, but I want everything to be a surprise. One hint: the basic layout will remain the same because it works well for us!”. The move of 20,000 books was a challenging task, but with the incredible help of our students, we managed to accomplish it in just three days. The contribution of any dons who helped in the process was greatly appreciated! Get excited to see the new chapter of our school’s library.